I know it’s not much to look at, but don’t let looks fool you. This dish is packed with veggies and flavor. It’s a great casserole option when looking for a healthy meal. I did make some substitutions when I made this to add some fiber and decrease some of the fat. By using brown rice and substituting Greek yogurt for the cream cheese. I think it turned out great. Plus, we had plenty of leftovers for the next night. Hope you enjoy.
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups zucchini and yellow squash, chopped (about 2 zucchini and 2 yellow squash)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
- 1 1/2 cups non-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups shredded pepper Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup corn, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped canned jalapenos
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Pour rice into 9 x 13 baking dish and set aside. In a small saucepan bring broth to a boil. Next pour broth into dish with rice and stir. Then add in zucchini, yellow squash, red pepper, green pepper, onion and salt into dish with rice. Mix well.
3. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
4. Remove foil add in cooked chicken, stir and continue baking for another 35-45 minutes, or until rice is tender.
5. In a small saucepan whisk milk and flour together. Cook over medium heat until bubbles and slightly thickens, approximately 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add in 1 1/2 cups jack cheese and corn. Cook until cheese is melted. Set aside.
6. When rice inside the casserole is done, stir in cheese sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and top with Greek Yogurt, using teaspoon dollops to cover casserole. Finally, sprinkle with jalapenos and return to oven to bake 10 more minutes.
7. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from: fitness magazine