Well let me tell you I have attempted mashed cauliflower in the past and it did not turn out so well. It was gritty, not creamy and lacked much of a flavor. So, when I came across this recipe I was a little hesitant to attempt this side dish again. But, considering cauliflower is my favorite vegetable, I was determined to give it another chance. This recipe was a hit. It had a smooth texture and was loaded with delicious flavor. So, if your looking for a healthy mashed potato alternative, give this a try. Let me know if you think it was a good as my husband and I did.
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into smaller pieces (florets only)
- 1 (6 oz) container nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 small shallot, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, bring water to boil. Add cauliflower to boiling water and cook for 10 minutes or until florets are soft.
- Remove cauliflower from heat and drain in colander. Place cauliflower in food processor, add Greek yogurt, butter, garlic and shallots. Blend until creamy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste or any seasoning of your choice and blend again.
- Transfer mixture into serving bowl and mix in Parmesan cheese while still hot. Garnish with scallions.
Adapted from: sproutandpea