When reading about cabbage soup, people claim anything from an age-old folk remedy for curing the common cold, to burning fat. I don’t know if these stories are true, but hey if it tastes good and has the possibility of keeping me slim or getting rid of a stuffy nose, what do I have to loose? I do know that it is a very low calorie, filling soup. I like to eat it for dinner, because I feel full and satisfied without worrying about going to bed with my stomach having to digest a heavy meal.
Most people think being a good cook is complicated, but when it comes to soup recipes, there is nothing more simple. This is a very easy recipe for cabbage soup. And soup recipes are so flexible when it comes to their ingredients. You may add vegetables you have on hand in the refrigerator, or delete ingredients you don’t like in a recipe, without effecting the taste. So go ahead and awaken your inner cook and let her run. Soup is a good place to start experimenting. Happy Souping!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 (32 ounce) containers of chicken broth
- 1/2 head of cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if desired)
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In large stockpot heat olive oil over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic. Saute until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add chicken broth to stockpot and bring to boil. Stir in cabbage and simmer until cabbage wilts, approximately 8 minutes.
3. Add in diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning and cayenne pepper (if desired). Return to boil and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Salt and Pepper to taste and serve.