I think the title alone says enough about this dessert for anyone to make it. Any sentence containing salted and caramel has my attention. Even my husband who is a die hard chocolate lover liked this one. He actually said they were fabulous. And after not winning the giant powerball jackpot, I needed something to make me feel better about knowing that I get to continue working for the next 30 years. I think this was it. A sweet caramel flavor, with a salty bite. For a few moments, I was lost in the sugar bliss. Okay, now back to reality, time to hit the gym and go to work. Oh well, at least there is the option of having a calgon moment with a dessert bar. Yummy!
- 2 cups salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 1 (14-ounce) bag caramels, unwrapped
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 325 °. Line a 9×13 cake pan with parchment paper, cutting paper to fit just the bottom. Lightly spray paper with cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine butter, sugar and powdered sugar. Using hand mixer, beat until creamy. Then add vanilla and beat until combined.
3. Next, add flour to sugar mixture. Add 1 cup at at time and mix until a soft dough is formed.
Press half of dough mixture into prepared pan and place remaining dough in refrigerator. Bake for 20 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and set aside.
5. Place caramels into a microwave safe bowl, add cream and vanilla. Microwave mixture for 1 minute. If caramels are not completely melted, microwave for additional 20 second intervals until caramel mixture is smooth. Making sure to stir mixture after each interval.
6. Pour caramel filling over cooked crust, making sure to pour evenly, because it is difficult to spread once mixture is poured. Sprinkle salt over melted caramel.
7. Take remaining dough from refrigerator and crumble it over caramel layer evenly. Return pan to oven and bake for 30-40 minutes. Bars will be done when top is a firm golden brown.
8. Allow to cool completely before cutting it into serving size squares.
Adapted from: cookiesandcups