I hope everyone had a good weekend. We are in the thick of the intense horrible summer heat here in Phoenix. Temperatures hitting 110° are becoming an everyday occurrence. So, in an attempt to come up with something cool to eat for dinner where baking wouldn’t be involved, here is my creation. This veggie toast is a mixture of fresh vegetables, cheeses and delicious bread. The fun thing about this recipe is you can add almost any vegetable to the mixture and it would be wonderful. So, here is a starting place for a recipe and get creative, adding your own veggies and twists. I would love to hear back from you if you came up with a great addition to this recipe. I did serve this with a bowl of tomato soup, to make it more filling. It was a perfect combination for that simple summer dinner. Enjoy.
Yield: 2 servings
- 2 slices fresh multi grain bread
- 4 thin asparagus spears
- low fat ricotta cheese
- 1 tomato thinly sliced
- 1 radish thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons shelled edamame (I used pre-shelled organic frozen ones)
- 1 small avocado thinly sliced
- shaved Parmesan
- 1/4 cup baby arugula
- fresh cracked pepper
- balsamic vinegar
1. Lightly toast multi grain bread and set aside to
5. Slice asparagus tips lengthwise and place onto bread, dividing evenly. Place desired amount of shaved Parmesan onto each slice and top w/half of arugula.
6. Lastly, drizzle small amount of balsamic vinegar onto each serving.