So, as summer is coming to a close and fall is around the corner, I thought I would give you one more summer vegetable recipe. Because after this, it tis the season for pumpkin and spice. Fall, a beautiful time of year, crisp morning air, the changing of the leaves and everything pumpkin. Ah.. I can smell the nutmeg in the air. Okay, okay sorry for the tangent, I’ll get back to the recipe. I love pasta, but hate how I feel guilty afterwards. Usually, they are filled with heavy meats and cream sauces, like alfredo. This recipe however; is a wonderful blend of linguine and fresh vegetables, using a small amount of cheddar cheese and Greek yogurt to get you a light tasty sauce. Plus, using shredded zucchini in the mixture gives you more volume in the pasta without using as much actual pasta. Voila, a yummy, not so bad for you pasta dish. Enjoy and start getting excited for fall recipes, soups and more.
- 1 (8 ounce) package linguine pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 1 zucchini cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 yellow squash cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (if desired)
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring large pot of water to boil and cook pasta according to box directions. Keep pasta al dente, drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic in skillet until starts to turn slightly brown 1-2 minutes. Stir in grated zucchini, saute for another 2 minutes.
3. Add rest of zucchini and yellow squash. Cook for another 4 minutes. Then remove from heat.
4. Add cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt and basil to zucchini/squash mixture. Mix well.
5. Add pasta to skillet with zucchini mixture and toss well. Salt and pepper to taste. Add red pepper flakes if desired. Mix well and serve.
To mix this recipe up a bit, you could always use whole wheat past, spaghetti noodles or different vegetables, like tomato. Give this recipe a try, you won’t be disappointed. Let me know what combinations you tried and worked well.