Well, I just bought my first mini muffin pan. So, immediately I came home and was on a mad search for what to make in my new found pan. All sorts of muffin and cupcake recipes appeared, but I thought hey, why does a muffin pan only have to be for muffins? So, I began another search that lead me to this fabulous recipe. Zucchini + mini muffin pan = Fabulous. Plus, how easy these were to make with such simple and basic ingredients, I was sold. I used these as a side dish when making hamburgers, but they would also be a great fit for breakfast or that Sunday brunch.
Yields: 12 mini tots
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 1 egg
- 1/4 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Spray mini muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. Grate zucchini into a clean dish towel. Then by wringing towel, remove all excess water out of the zucchini. This helps to keep your tots from turning into mush.
3. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and season with desired amount of salt and pepper.
4. Fill each muffin section to the top w/zucchini mixture. Making sure to push down on mixture so it’s nice and compact, so they keep to their tot form when taking them out of the tin.
5. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until tops start to golden. After baking, run a plastic knife around the edge of each tot to make removing them much easier.
My only advice to you after making these is to make sure your sharing them with someone else, otherwise; it could be very easy to eat them all yourself. Although I guess it would still be better than eating an entire super-sized serving of McDonald’s french fries. Hope you enjoy.